Updated: Oct 6
You’ve heard of a wedge salad, right?
You know, the one where you cut the head of iceberg lettuce into fourths and slather it with blue cheese dressing and some bacon bits?
What if we took it up a notch?
As a certified Health Coach, I make it a practice to recommend foods that are not only healthy, but also provide you with vitamins and nutrients…
Which iceberg lettuce seriously lacks.
Yes, iceberg is part of the lettuce family, but because it has a higher water content than many other types of lettuce, it is lacking in the fiber department.
Iceberg lettuce is also not as vitamin- or nutrient-packed as it’s darker, more colorful lettuce cousins, like romaine, and butter lettuce.
While on our health and wellness retreat in Waco, TX this past April (2023), we ate one of our dinners at Cafe Homestead, a true farm to table restaurant and overall amazing experience.
Was a wedge salad…
BUT they took it up a notch and used romaine lettuce along with a few other secret ingredients.
When I came home, I was on a mission to replicate the salad.
I wanted to share this delicious, mouth watering salad with my husband, and also be able to pass the recipe on to the women who attended the retreat.
Of course, I had to add my own twist to the salad, and use my vegan ranch dressing recipe in place of the blue cheese, as well as a few other “secret” ingredients that truly bring this traditional boring iceberg wedge salad to life!
Ready? Let’s GO!
Updated Wedge Salad Recipe
*Please note that the affiliate links in this post do allow me to earn a small commission. I appreciate you supporting me in this way! I only link products that I truly love and use myself. You are always welcome to use your own preferred brands for these ingredients.
1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned, cut ½
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ red onion, diced small
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup pepita seeds
1 cup croutons
Vegan ranch dressing (recipe below)
How to make the salad:
* Cut the head of romaine lettuce in half, leaving the stem on (this will help to hold the leaves in place).
* Lay it cut side up, on a large plate.
* Divide the cherry tomatoes between both plates, placing on top of the lettuce, spreading around evenly.
* Divide the red onions between both plates, placing on top of the lettuce and tomatoes, spreading around evenly.
* Drizzle with vegan ranch dressing (don’t scrimp here!)
* Top with cranberries (again divide between both plates)croutons and pepita seeds.
* Drizzle with balsamic glaze and ENJOY!
**To make this salad a meal, add some chopped protein (grilled chicken, steak, shrimp) to the lettuce before adding cranberries and croutons.
Vegan Ranch Dressing
½ cup mayo (the brand I recommend)
½ cup full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp.onion powder
2 tsp. dried dill
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tbsp dried chives
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp white vinegar
* Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
* Transfer to a small bottle or glass jar for storage and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
* This dressing will keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
And there you have it!
The updated wedge salad recipe that not only tastes delicious, but also has vitamins and nutrients to make you feel good!
Leave a Comment & Rating
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider giving it a like along with your comment! It helps others discover my blog and recipes, and I enjoy reading your comments. Thank you for your support!